[Jan. 16, 2023] Previous Science Note
The Drivers of Cellular Senescence
Cellular senescence is a complex biological process that is influenced by several key factors: DNA damage, telomere shortening, oxidative stress, oncogene activation, and so on. These factors collectively contribute to the complex process of cellular senescence, which acts as a double-edged sword - protective in preventing cancer growth, but also contributing to aging and age-related diseases.
Apoptotic stress causes mtDNA release during senescence and drives the SASP
|Iron accumulation drives fibrosis, senescence and the senescence-associated secretory phenotype
Click here for the original article: Mate Maus, et. al., Nature, 2023.
|Genome-wide CRISPR activation screening in senescent cells reveals SOX5 as a driver and therapeutic target of rejuvenation
Click here for the original article: Yaobin Jing, et. al., Cell Stem Cell, 2023.
Point of Interest
|Point of Interest
- Vascular and hemolytic injury trigger iron accumulation, which causes senescence and promotes fibrosis.
- Senescent cells persistently accumulate iron, even after the increase in extracellular iron has subsided.
- Cells exposed to various types of senescence-inducing insults accumulate abundant ferritin-bound iron, mostly within lysosomes.
- The high levels of labile iron fuel the generation of reactive oxygen species and the SASP.
|Point of Interest
- CRISPRa screening identifies a comprehensive set of rejuvenators against senescence.
- Activation of SOX5 initiates a rejuvenation program via epigenetic remodeling.
- SOX5 activation leads to the stimulation of the HMGB2 enhancer, resulting in subsequent geroprotective effects.
- Gene therapy using only SOX5 has the potential to promote the regeneration of aged knee joints.
|Cellular senescence detection
|SPiDER-βGal for live-cell imaging or flow cytometry / microplate reader / tissue samples.
|Ferrous ion (Fe2+) detection
|FerroOrange and Mito-FerroGreen
|Total ROS detection
|Highly sensitive DCFH-DA or Photo-oxidation Resistant DCFH-DA
|Lysosomal Acidic pH Detection Kit-Green/Red and Green/Deep Red NEW
|Mitochondrial superoxide detection
|mtSOX Deep Red
|Mitochondrial membrane potential detection
|JC-1 MitoMP Detection Kit / MT-1 MitoMP Detection Kit
|Oxygen consumption rate assay
|Extracellular OCR Plate Assay Kit
|Antibody/Protein labeling: quick and high recovery
|Fluorescein, Biotin, and Peroxidase Labeling Kit - NH2
|The products listed above are currently on special promotional offer.
Metabolic shift to glycolysis in senescenct cells
NAD(+) levels decline during the aging process, causing defects in nuclear and mitochondrial functions and resulting in many age-associated pathologies*. Here, we try to redemonstrate this phenomenon in the doxorubicin (DOX)-induced cellular senescence model with a comprehensive analysis of our products.