Chemical Name: Bis[(12-crown-4)methyl] 2-dodecyl-2-methylmalonate
Appearance: pale yellow liquid
Purity: ≥95.0% (HPLC; RI)
MW: 662.85, C34H62O12
Storage Condition : ambient temperature
Shipping Condition : ambient temperature
The NAS11-8 glass electrode is utilized as a selective sodium ion sensor. However, it is easily spoiled by biomaterials in sample solutions. Bis(12-crown-4), a sodium ionophore, is 100 times more selective for sodium than potassium in the PVC electrode using NPOE as a plasticizer. The same selectivity for sodium over potassium is reported when Bis(12-crown-4) is used on a coated wire electrode. It can be used in either a liquid membrane or a PVC membrane. TFPB, a lipophilic anion, can help improve detection sensitivity.
Ion selectivity: LogKpot(Na/Li):-3.0, LogKpot(Na/K):-2.0, LogKpot(Na/Cs):-2.0, LogKpot(Na/Rb):-2.4, LogKpot(Na/NH4):-3.0, LogKpot(Na/Mg):-4.0,
LogKpot(Na/Ca):-4.0, LogKpot(Na/Ba):-3.7, LogKpot(Na/Sr):-3.7 Formulation: Ionophore: 6%, NPOE: 70%, TFPB: 50 mol% of ionophore
1. I. Ikeda, et al., Syntheses of Ester-type Bis-12-crown-4 Ethers and Their Complexing Abilities toward Sodium Cation. Tetrahedron Lett. 1981;22:3615-3616.
2. H. Tamura, et al., Coated Wire Sodium- and Potassium-selective Electrodes Based on Bis(crown ether) Compounds. Anal Chem. 1982;54:1224-1227.
3. T. Shono, et al., Sodium-selective PVC Membrane Electrodes Based on Bis(12-crown-4)s. J Electroanal Chem. 1982;132:99-105.
4. H. Tamura, et al., Simultaneous Determination of Sodium and Potassium in Human Urine or Serum Using Coated-wire Ion-selective Electrodes Based on Bis(crown ether)s. Mikrochim Acta. 1983;80:287-296.
5. H. Sakamoto, et al., Lipophilic Bis(monoaza crown ether) Derivatives: Synthesis and Cation-complexing Properties. J Org Chem. 1986;51:4974-4979.
6. T. Maruizumi, et al., Neutral Carrier-based Na+ -selective Electrode for Application in Blood Serum. Mikrochim Acta. 1986;1:331-336.
7. N. Nakashima, et al., Design of a Novel Bilayer System Responsive to Chemical Signals; Selective Discrimination of Na+ by a Spectroscopic Method. J Chem Soc Chem Commun. 1987:617-619.
8. H. Widmer, et al., The Increase of Oxygen Consumption after a Flash of Light Is Tighly Coupled to Sodium Pumping in the Lateral Ocellus of Barnacle. J Gen Physiol. 1990;96:83-108.
9. M. Tanaka, et al., Evaluation of Complex Formation of Bis(12-crown-4)s with Sodium Picrate in Solution by 23Na NMR Spectroscopy. Chem Lett. 1990;19:1419-1422.
10. Y. Shibutani, et al., Chiral Bis(12-crown-4)-based Electrodes for Sodium Ion. Chem Lett. 1997;26:49-50.