Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency is one of the most common human enzyme defects. Individuals with the condition may exhibit hemolytic anemia caused by medications such as Primaquine, anti-malaria drug, Hydroxychloroquine*. Dojindo’s G6PD Assay Kit-WST utilizes a water-soluble tetrazolium salt WST-8 that produces water-soluble formazan with an intense orange color at 460 nm. G6PD activity in a whole blood sample can be monitored visually by the color intensity. The kit achieves a very simple and rapid assay for screening of G6PD activity.
*The kit is for research use only.
*Please click this link regarding Hydroxychloroquine.
Principle and data
1) A. Jalloh, I. S. Tantular, S. Pusarawati, A. P. Kawilarang, H. Kerong, K. Lin, M. U. Ferreira, H. Matsuoka, M. Arai, K. Kita and F. Kawamoto, “Rapid Epidemiologic Assessment of Glucose-6-phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency in Malaria-endemic Areas in Southeast Asia Using a Novel Diagnostic kit”, Trop. Med. Int. Health, 2004, 9(5), 615.
2) I. S. Tantular, K. Iwai, K. Lin, S. Basuki, T. Horie, H. H. Htay, H. Matsuoka, H. Marwoto, C. Wongsrichanalai, Y. P. Dachlan, S. Kojima, A. Ishii and F. Kawamoto, “Field Trials of a Rapid Test for G6PD Deficiency in Combination with a Rapid Diagnosis of Malaria”, Trop. Med. Int. Health, 1999, 4, 245.
3) A. Ishii, H. Asahi and S.Kawabata, “Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency in Solomon Islands”, Jpn. J. Parasitol., 1994, 43, 312.
4) E. Beutler, “A Series of New Screening Procedures for Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency, Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency, and Glutathione Reductase”, Blood, 1966, 28, 553.
5) E. Beutler and M. Mitchell, “Special Modification of the Fluorescent Screening Method for Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency”, Blood, 1968, 32, 816.
6) H. Fujii, K. Takahashi and S. Miwa, “A New Simple Screening Method for Glucose 6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency”, Acta Haematologica Japonica, 1984, 47, 185.
7) A. Hirono, H. Fujii and S. Miwa, “An Improved Single-step Screening Method for Glucose-6-phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency”, Jpn. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 1998, 26, 1.
8) A. Pujades, M. Lewis, A. M. Salvati, S. Miwa, H. Fujii, R. Zarza, R. Alvarez, E. Rull and J. -L. V. Corrons, “Evaluation of the Blue Formazan Spot Test for Screening Glucose 6 Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency”, Int. J. Hematol., 1999, 69, 234.