Home > Analytical / Biological Products > Diagnostic Analysis > Tetrazolium Salts >
*Estimated. Exact shipping date will be notified.
For Research Use Only Products
Application: NADH and NADPH detection, superoxide detection
Chemical Description: 2-(4-Iodophenyl)-3-(4-nitrophenyl)-5-(2,4-disulfophenyl)-2H-tetrazolium, monosodium salt
Appearance: pale yellow or pale brown powder
Molar absorptivity (pH8): ≥21,600 (around 244 nm)Purity
MW: 651.35, C19H11IN5NaO8S2
Storage Condition : 0-5oC, protect from light
Shipping Condition : ambient temperature
Product Description of WSTs
Water-soluble tetrazolium salts (WSTs) were developed by introducing positive or negative charges and hydroxy groups to the phenyl ring of the tetrazolium salt. Positive charges, such as trialkylammonio groups, improve the water-solubility of the formazan dye. However, a large cation is easily precipitated out with organic anions such as carboxylate or phosphate. Although a hydroxy group also improved the
water solubility of the tetrazolium salt, the corresponding formazan dye was not sufficiently water-soluble. Dojindo’s WSTs have sulfonate groups added directly or indirectly to the phenyl ring to improve water-solubility. Dojindo also offers several newly developed phenylazotype tetrazolium salts, which are easily reduced with NADH or other reducing agents to give orange or purple formazan dyes. Due to the phenylazo group, the color changes with heavy metal ion. Since the water solubility of Dojindo’s WSTs is high, 10 mM to 100 mM solutions can be prepared.
1. M. Ishiyama, et al., A New Sulfonated Tetrazolium Salt That produces a Highly Water-soluble Formazan Dye. Chem Pharm Bull. 1993;41:1118-1122.
2. T. Yano, et al., Ras Oncogene Enhances the Production of a Recombinant Protein Regulated by the Cytomegalovirus Promoter in BHK-21 Cells. Cytotechnology. 1994;16:167-178.
3. K. Teruya, et al., Ras Amplification in BHK-21 Cells Produces a Host Cell Line for Further Rapid Establishment of Recombiant Protein Hyper-producing Cell Lines. Biosci Biotech Biochem. 1995;59:341-344.
4. M. Ishiyama, et al., Novel Disulfonated Tetrazolium Salt That can be Reduced to a Water-soluble Formazan and Its Application to the Assay of Lactate Dehydrogenase. Analyst. 1995;120:113-116.
5. M. Ishiyama, et al., Novel Cell Proliferation and Cytotoxicity Assays Using a Tetrazolium Salt That Produces a Water-soluble Formazan Dye. In Vitro Toxicol. 1995;8:187-190.
6. S. Q. Liu, et al., Induction of Human Autologous Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes on Formalin-Fixed and Paraffin-Embedded Tumour Sections. Nat Med. 1995;1:267-271.
7. T. Takenouchi, et al., Trophic Effects of Substance P and β-Amyloid Peptide on Dibutyryl Cyclic AMP-Differentiated Human Leukemic (HL-60) Cells. Life Sci. 1995;56:PL479-PL484.
8. T. Iwaki, et al., β-Crystallin in C6 Glioma Cells Supports their Survival in Elevated Extracellular K+: the Implication of a Protective Role of β-Crystallin Accumulation in Reactive Glia. Brain Res. 1995;673:47-52.
9. M. Ishiyama, et al., A Combined Assay of Cell Viability and vitro Cytotoxycity with a Highly Water-soluble Tetrazolium Salt, Neutral Red and Crystal Violet. Biol Pharm Bul. 1996;19:1518-1520.
10. T. Mosmann, et al., Rapid Colorimetric Assay for Cellular Growth and Survival: Application to Proliferation and Cytotoxicity Assays. J Immunol Methods. 1983;65:55-63.
11. A. H. Cory, et al., Use of an Aqueous Soluble Tetrazolium/Formazan Assay for Cell Growth Assays in Culture. Cancer Commun. 1991;3:207-212.
Fig 2 Absorption Spectra of WST Formazan Dyes
All Products are applicable only for life science research. Not for diagnostic use.
Prices listed are for U.S. customer only and may vary in other countries.